If you are a seafood lover, then definitely fish will be your first pick for sure. My mom always says that non vegetarians love the smell of fish. That too fried fish smell stays in home for at least 2 days. There are many ways you can do fish fry but this is how my mom makes at home, so sharing the same recipe.
Marinating the fish with the spices gives good taste, so that’s the secret for a good fish fry. If you love Indian seafood recipes then you must try this, the fish filled with exotic spices will make you to carve for making this recipe.
Fish fry is best with white steamed rice. I will soon post the recipe for Chettinad fish curry.
Chettinad Fish Fry
Fish fry recipe, in exotic chettinad spice flavors coated, marinated and shallow fried.
- Fish – 1lb (500gm)
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Lemon – 1
- Shallots or pearl onions – 3
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Cumin seeds -1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Rice flour – 2 tablespoons
- Oil – 2 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons for frying
- Red chili powder – 2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Step 1 Cut the fish into pieces, wash them in water.
- Step 2 Apply some turmeric powder, salt, juice from 1 lemon and coat the fish and set aside.
- Step 3 Take a mixee/blender jar and add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, garlic, ginger and shallots, grind it to a paste (without adding water, if need add lemon juice while grinding).
- Step 4 Transfer the grinded masala paste to a bowl and add the red chili powder, coriander powder, rice flour, salt and add 2 tablespoons of oil to make it to a thick paste.
- Step 5 Now take the fish pieces and coat this masala paste evenly on the fish.
- Step 6 Let the fish marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Step 7 Then heat 3 tablespoons of oil on a griddle or pan.
- Step 8 Once the oil is hot enough, add the fish pieces one by one and fry till it is crispy on one side then flip to the next side.(It will take around 2 minutes to get crispy on one side)
- Step 9 Once done transfer the fish to a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Step 10 Serve it hot with a bowl of fresh steamed rice and lemon and onions on sides.
- In this recipe I have used Red snapper variety, but you can use any kind of fish.
- Shallots are main in Chettinad cuisine, if you are unable to find shallots then you use red onions instead.
- The measurements mentioned gives you spicy fish fry, if you want less spicy, add 2 tablespoons of roasted garam flour or reduce a teaspoon in red chili powder.
- I don’t prefer adding food color; if you want restaurant style fish fry then you can add red food color while marinating the fish.
- Don’t add water at any case then you will end with a soggy fish.