Tofu’s are very difficult to get the crispy exterior because of its soft texture. But after following this recipe you can easily make the crispy tofu without deep frying it. Actually it tastes a way better than the deep fried ones 🙂
Tofu is mainly used in Asian cuisines but now it’s widely popular because of its health benefits. Yes, they are low in calories and high in protein. And hence vegans love it using in their recipes because of its protein value.
The tofu is prepared by coagulating the soy milk. There are three types of tofu (soft, firm, extra firm). Extra firm tofu works best for savory dishes. It’s very difficult to bring out the flavors from tofu because they have subtle flavor almost bland. In this case, a good sauce will help to bring the taste.
In this recipe, we have just shallow fried the tofu. The crispiness is achieved by the cornstarch coating and removal of excess water from the tofu block. The sauce has mild spicy, sweet, tart flavors and overall a yummy one definitely.
If I am bored of regular lunch menu, this “crispy tofu in soy sauce” will come to rescue. So why are you waiting for? Try this recipe and let me know how it turned.
Crispy tofu in soy sauce
Perfectly crispy tofu tossed in a sweet sesame and soy sauce recipe.
- 1 pack (14 Oz) of extra – firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon of oil
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoons of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Step 1 First step is to remove the excess water from the tofu. So, remove the tofu from the package and place it on a plate by covering the tofu with a kitchen towel and place some weights above the tofu. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes, so that the excess liquid is removed.
- Step 2 Meanwhile start preparing the sauce. In a bowl combine the soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, sugar, 1 tablespoon of water, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of oil. Mix it well and set the sauce mixture aside.
- Step 3 Cut the tofu into cubes once the water has drained completely.
- Step 4 Now coat the tofu with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and a little salt until there is no moisture left on the tofu.
- Step 5 Heat a pan on a medium flame and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is heated, add the tofu cubes and cook until golden brown color is achieved. Turn the tofu on the alternate sides until it turns crispy and transfer it to a plate.
- Step 6 In the same pan add the sauce mixture and cook it for 5 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken and now add the pepper powder. Finally toss the crispy tofu into the sauce and switch of the flame.
- Step 7 Garnish the crispy tofu with some green onions and sesame seeds and serve it over a bed of rice or couscous or quinoa and enjoy.
- Soft tofu won’t work for this recipe so buy the extra firm tofu.
- Removing the excess water from the package is the very important step to get the crispy tofu.
- After coating the tofu with the cornstarch, if you felt the tofu is still moist then add another tablespoon of cornstarch until there is no moisture is left on the tofu.
Tag @veg2nonvegkitchen on Instagram if you tried any of my recipes. I would love to see them 🙂