Are you bored of regular flatbread? Then give a try to this 2 ingredients “Sweet potato flatbread”. The oil and salt is optional here. So it’s a vegan recipe. There is no need of any additional water to make this dough.
Usually sweet potato flatbreads are made using all-purpose flour but here we are going to use whole wheat flour. The ratio between mashed sweet potato and wheat flour is 1:1. Since we are using wheat flour, the roti goes very well the Indian curries. If you are not using any oil then you make them as a tortilla wrap and stuff with veggies and meat and just roll them and eat it.
Even for a longer time the roti’s remain soft. So you can make these roti’s ahead and store it in fridge and reheat it whenever necessary. I have used orange colored sweet potatoes, but you can use even white or anything of your choice.
Check the video for recipe in detail:
Sweet potato flatbread(roti)
Low calorie vegan dinner/breakfast recipe using just 2 ingredients.
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour + ¼ cup for dusting
- Salt (optional)
- Oil (optional)
- Step 1 Wash and clean 1 medium sized sweet potato and steam cook it for 10-12 minutes until tender.
- Step 2 Once done remove them to a bowl and allow the sweet potatoes to cool a bit and then peel the skin and mash the sweet potatoes.
- Step 3 Now add the flour little by little and mix well with the mashed potatoes with the help of a spoon.
- Step 4 Once the dough is about to form use your hands to knead the dough to smooth and soft.
- Step 5 After kneading it for 5-6 minutes you will get a non-sticky smooth dough ball. Apply a teaspoon of oil above the dough ball and allow the dough to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Step 6 Divide the dough into equal portions and make small round balls out of it.
- Step 7 Dust some extra flour on the surface and flatten the balls to a circular disc with the help of a rolling pin.
- Step 8 Heat a griddle/pan and cook the roti. Once it starts bubble up turn it to the next side and cook it. Apply some oil if you want.
- Step 9 It takes 1-2 minutes to cook 1 roti, similarly cook all the others.
- Step 10 Sweet potato flatbread is ready. Serve it hot with some curries or use it as tortilla wrap and enjoy.
- Instead of steam cooking the sweet potatoes you can also boil or pressure cook it. But if you boil or pressure it then the moisture content will be more and as a result you will end up adding more flour to form the dough.
- Adding the flour to the mashed sweet potato while it is still warm is an important step. It helps the roti to become soft.
- For 1 cup of mashed puree needs 1 cup of flour; you may need more also depending upon the water content presented in the potatoes.
- I have used whole wheat flour for the recipe. You can also use all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour instead.
If you tried this recipe let me know how it turned. Take a picture and tag me @veg2nonveg_kitchen on Instagram with the hashtag #veg2nonvegkitchen. I would love to see your creation 🙂