Vegetable Cutlet is an easy and delicious Indian appetizer .It’s a perfect snack for tea times. You can add all your favorite veggies in it and serve it with hot and spicy tomato ketchup or Mint chutney. It’s a fail proof recipe, if you follow my recipe as per the instruction you will get an awesome cutlets without any difficulty in holding shape or breaking while frying issues.
In this recipe I have added my favorite veggies but you can play around with your favorite veggies too. You can follow the recipe instruction till step 16 and freeze the patties in refrigerator and you can deep fry it whenever you want (I usually do it J).
The mentioned ingredients yields 12 medium sized veggie cutlets. You can also turn those cutlets to burger patties next day 😉
Check the recipe video below :
Easy and delicious Indian party appetizer recipe.
- Potato – 2 Medium sized
- Green chili – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch size
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Chopped Onion – ½ cup
- Grated carrots – ¼ cup
- Chopped bell peppers – ¼ cup
- Boiled peas – 2 tablespoons
- Boiled corn – 2 tablespoons
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Bread crumbs – 2 tablespoons + 1/2 cup for coating
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- All purpose flour - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp and 500ml for deep frying
- Step 1 Take a sauce pan, add some water and boil the potatoes.
- Step 2 Meanwhile boil or steam cook the corn and green peas.
- Step 3 Once the potatoes are done, allow them to rest for 10 minutes and then mash the potatoes.
- Step 4 Chop the green chilies , garlic, onions ,ginger and keep it ready.
- Step 5 Grate the carrots.
- Step 6 Now heat a pan add 2 tablespoons of oil .
- Step 7 Add the chopped green chili , garlic and ginger.
- Step 8 Once the raw flavor is gone add the grated carrots, boiled peas and corn kernels .
- Step 9 Saute it for 5 minutes
- Step 10 Add the spice powders (Turmeric , red chili and Garam masala) and salt
- Step 11 After 2 minutes of sauteing switch off the flame and allow the veggies to cool down.
- Step 12 Take a wide bowl, add the mashed potatoes , cooked veggies, coriander leaves and 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs.
- Step 13 Mix it well until all combined together.
- Step 14 Now take a small portion of the mixture and make it the patty shape (refer video)
- Step 15 In a small bowl mix water and flour to a thin watery paste. (acts as a glue to coat the bread crumbs).
- Step 16 Dip the patties in the flour solution first and then coat with bread crumbs.
- Step 17 Similarly coat all the cutlets.
- Step 18 Meanwhile heat some oil for deep frying the cutlets.
- Step 19 Once the oil is hot enough deep fry the cutlets until they are golden brown in color on a medium flame.
- Step 20 Transfer those cutlets to the absorbent tissue to remove excess oil.
- Step 21 Serve the hot veggie cutlets with tomato ketchup or mint chutney and enjoy
- Make sure the potatoes have cooled down completely before mashing(if the potatoes have moisture than the cutlet mixture will little loose)
- You can also add veggies like beans,beetroot, broccoli , etc.,
- If your cutlets are unable to hold its shape then add little more bread crumbs to your cutlet mixture.
- Deep frying cutlets gives you crispy cutlets. But you can also shallow fry or bake it in oven.
- Instead of bread crumbs you can also use a 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour into the cutlet mixture for binding
- If you are finding the breadcrumbs are falling apart while deep frying the cutlets , then you can freeze the patties for 5 minutes and then deep fry it .
- For coating the cutlets , you can use cornmeal’s instead of bread crumbs.