Best kara kuzhambu recipe that can be packed for lunch boxes. This is Chettinad style kara kuzhambu. You can replace the lady’s finger with brinjal, drumstick ,etc., I have used coconut in this recipe, but you can skip it also.
Vendaikkai kara kuzhambu (Okra curry - tamarind based curry)
- Lady's finger - 12
- Shallots- 15
- Tomato - 1
- Garlic - 3
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chili - 2
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Sesame oil - 3 tbsp
- Shredded coconut - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
- Step 1 Heat a pan and oil to you it
- Step 2 Once the oil is hot enough add the chopped okra and fry it for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Step 3 Remove the semi- fried okras to a plate once done.
- Step 4 Add some more oil to the same pan and add cumin seeds.
- Step 5 Then add the peeled shallots and saute it for 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.
- Step 7 Then add the spice powders one by one (Turmeric powder, Red chili powder, Coriander powder) and saute it till the raw flavor goes.
- Step 8 Add the shredded coconut and switch off the flame.
- Step 9 Allow it to cool and then grind it to a paste with little water.
- Step 10 Now on the same add some more oil, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chili and curry leaves
- Step 11 Add the grinded masala paste and some water to it (if need).
- Step 12 Add the tamarind pulp water and salt.
- Step 13 Cook it for 5 minutes and then add the fried okras and cook it for another 5 minutes.
- Step 14 Once the gravy is thickened , it is ready.
- Step 15 You can transfer it to a serving dish and enjoy.
- Frying the okra in sesame oil gives you the unique flavors so don’t skip this step.
- If you don’t like the coconut flavor you can very will skip that part.
Here is the recipe video for the better understanding.