Mor kuzhambu is my favorite dish I often make during summer. When the temperature goes high I will start beating some buttermilk to make this yummy delicious curry for lunch. This yogurt based curry is commonly prepared in southern part of India.
You can make this mor kuzhambu without adding any vegetables also, but traditionally it includes vegetables like winter melons, okra, ash gourd, bottle gourd, etc., To give a twist to the regular vegetables I have used Zucchini instead.
I always love to use seasonal vegetables that are available in local farmers market for preparing the daily meal. Its peak of summer and you can find zucchini everywhere here. So, thought of using it in my favorite curry and it turned so delicious. Moreover zucchini has numerous health benefits too. It has high water content, low in calories and rich in fiber.
Actually zucchini is a fruit, but it is cooked as a vegetable because it is best when eaten with cooked dishes. Consuming zucchini frequently will help you to lose weight. So it’s a very good diet food I would suggest you to include in your meal if you are planning to shred some pounds, because zucchini keeps you full for longer time.
This curry is a perfect accompaniment for hot steamed white/brown rice.
Here is the video of making this yummy delicious curry !
If you tried this recipe tag me on Instagram, I would love to see your pics 🙂
Zucchini in yogurt and coconut based curry (Zucchini Mor Kuzhambu)
Mor kuzhambu recipe with a twist of adding the sautéed zucchini pieces
- 1 cup of curd/yogurt
- 3/4th cup of chopped zucchini
- 1 tablespoon of toor dal
- 1 tablespoon of raw rice
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 cup + ½ cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 2 green chilies
- 1 small piece of ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2 red chilies
- Curry leaves
- Step 1 In a small bowl add toor dal, raw rice, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Add ½ cup of hot water to it and soak it for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the soaked ingredients with water into a blender. And add the coconut, green chilies and ginger and grind it to a smooth paste and set aside.
- Step 3 Take a pan, add a teaspoon of oil. Add the chopped zucchini and salt and sauté it for 5-6 minutes.
- Step 4 Once the zucchini’s are done transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Step 5 In a heavy bottom pan add the curd, grinded paste, 1 cup of water, salt and turmeric powder and whisk it together.
- Step 6 Now place the buttermilk mixture on medium flame and allow it to boil.
- Step 7 After 5-10 minutes the buttermilk mixture will start to thicken.
- Step 8 In this stage add the sautéed zucchini and cook it for another 2 minutes and then switch of the flame.
- Step 9 Now for tempering the curry, heat a pan, add a teaspoon of oil, mustard seeds, red chilies, curry leaves.
- Step 10 Pour the tempering on to the curry and mix it and serve.
- Step 11 Enjoy this “Zucchini Mor kuzhambu” with a bowl of hot steamed rice.
- I have sautéed the zucchini and added it into the curry. But you can steam cook or just boil the zucchini pieces and add it to the curry as well.
- Every part of zucchini is edible so I haven’t peeled the skin. If you wish you can peel the skin and use it.
- Instead of zucchini you can use any vegetables which has high water content like melons, squash, etc.,