Easy homemade butterscotch blondies recipe with rich flavors of butter and brown sugar, perfect replacement of brownies for your next party and potlucks!
Best Butterscotch Blondies
These blondies with butterscotch chips makes the recipe irresistible! Imagine these butterscotch blondies with ice cream topped with caramel sauce and nuts on top, totally drool worthy and am I right? I have used Hershey’s butterscotch chips for this recipe and the flavor is just amazing. Learn how to make butterscotch blondie recipe here with step by step images for easy explanation and try the recipe this week and I am sure you will make these blondie again and again for your house birthday parties, potlucks and for any special occasions.
Everyone have this question – Is the blondie and brownie are the same or different? The answer is NO! Of course brownies and blondies looks similar in shape, size and texture but both have different flavor profile. Blondies have that butterscotch flavor, which typically comes from the brown sugar.
What is blondies?
Blondies are rich and buttery dessert bars, basically made from flour, eggs, brown sugar and butter. You may also add the ingredients like walnuts, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips to make it extra richer! Similar to brownies, blondies are often served with ice creams and some chocolate sauce on top.
Replacement for eggs
For baking recipes, eggs plays the major role. If you are a vegan or vegetarian you can check my below recommendation to substitute eggs for the recipes.
- Ground flax , mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax + 3 tablespooons of water = 1 Egg
- Chia seeds, mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds + 1/3rd cup water = 1 Egg
- Ripe bananas, 1/2 mashed banana = 1 Egg
- Apple sauce, 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce = 1 Egg
What’s the difference between blondies and brownies?
The main difference between blondies and brownies is the brownie has the important ingredient as “Cocoa powder” in the recipe whereas blondies doesn’t have. So the brownies have richer color and richer taste where the blondies are lighter in taste.
Why the brown sugar is a main ingredient on blondies recipes?
Brown sugar has a deeper flavor and contains some molasses, so combining that with butter makes these blondies richer, soft and chewier in texture!
Variation from basic blondies recipe:
Here are my favorite lists of ingredients that can be added to the basic blondies recipe to make it different from regular blondies.
- You can add semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to make chocolate blondies.
- My favorite is to add butterscotch chips (this is the variation I have done in this recipe) to make butterscotch blodies.
- Adding walnuts or pecans or any type of nuts
- To make more kids friendly add M&M chocolate chips to create M&M chocolate chip blondies.
How to make butterscotch blondie recipe:
All you need is just one bowl and a whisk to make this delicious blondie recipe. There is no need of any fancy appliances like kitchen aid or hand mixer to make this recipe.
Start the recipe by melting unsalted butter. When the butter is still hot, adds brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk together until well combined.
Add the egg and keep whisking at least for 3-5 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Make sure the egg is at room temperature. Then add in the vanilla extract.
Once the wet ingredients are well combined add the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Mix it without any lumps (don’t over mix)
Now add the butterscotch chips and fold it gently.
Meanwhile prepare a baking dish/pan (9X5 inch) lined with parchment paper leaving some overhang on sides.
Scoop the blondie batter into the baking dish/ pan and spread it evenly.
Bake the blondies at 350F for 30-35 minutes, until the top layer is set or check by inserting a toothpick comes out clean.
Once done transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow cooling completely.
Then slice them to get perfect squares.
Enjoy the blondies while it’s still warm with a glass of milk or else enjoy with a scoop of ice cream. I like to enjoy my blondies with 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream drizzled with some caramel syrup.
How to store blondies?
- You can store the leftover blondies in an air tight container up to 1 week
- To freeze the blondies, place the blondies in a ziplock bag and keep it in freezer for up to 3 months.
Butterscotch blondies recipe | How to make blondies
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl add the melted butter, combine brown sugar and white sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix it well.
- Now add the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt, mix until well combined.
- Fold in the butterscotch ships to the blondie batter.
- Scoop the batter to the baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the blondie for 30-35 minutes at 350F.
- Once done transfer the pan to a wire rack and cut them to squares once cooled down, you will get 12 medium sized blondies.
- Make sure the eggs are at room temperature for making perfect blondies.
- While lining the baking tray with parchment paper leave some overhang on sides which help to remove the blondies from the pan easily.
You may also be interested in these baking recipes
Ragi Chocolate Cupcakes (Gluten-free ) with Honey Buttercream Frosting
4 thoughts on “Butterscotch blondies recipe | How to make blondies”
This looks so delicious ? gonna try it ??
Thank you Madhu! Let me know how it turned!