Chettinad Mushroom Biryani
Chettinad mushroom biryani is famous in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. This biryani is made of basmati rice or jeeraka samba rice, and smells of spices and ghee. It is best taken with onion raita! Chettinad cuisine offers a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. This flavorful mushroom biryani is one of the best vegetarian dishes from Chettinad cuisine that you must try!
How to pick the right mushroom to cook mushroom biryani
White Button Mushroom
The most common and mild- tasting mushroom that can be easily found at groceries. It works best for the mushroom biryani recipe.
Crimino is a baby Portobello variety and more flavorful than the white button mushrooms. These mushrooms are little darker and firmer and perfect to cook any Indian recipes including biryani.
Healthy benefits of mushrooms
- Helps to balance cholesterol levels
- High in vitamin D, iron and low in calories
- Improve immune function
- Cure Anemia
- Good for skin and weightless
Chettinad biryani masala recipe
Biryani masala is the important ingredient to make a perfect biryani recipe, the flavor varies from state to state, Chettinad biryani masala is something I love and make it frequently. Nothing beats the smell of freshly grounded biryani masala!
The ingredients to make chettinad biryani masala are:
- Cinnamon stick
- Green cardamom pods
- Cumin seeds
- Black peppercorns
- Star anise
- Mace blade
- Black cardamom
- Stone flower dagad phool/kalpasi
Dry roast the above mentioned ingredients in low flame and grind them to semi coarse powder. Store the extra biryani masala powder in an air tight container for future use.
Ingredients to make chettinad mushroom biryani
The main ingredients to make this delicious one pot mushroom biryani are basmati rice, mushrooms, Indian spices, Chettinad biryani masala, curd, etc.
Rice: Basmati rice works the best for biryanis. The water ratio to cook is 1:2 on stove top method, 1:1.75 for pressure cooker method and 1:1.5 for Instant pot method.
Mushroom: I have used white button mushroom for this biryani recipe which have deep flavors. Slice them little thick to use it in the biryani.
Indian spices: Turmeric powder and red chili powder are used.
Ginger & garlic paste: Grind 1 inch ginger with 5 cloves to a smooth paste.
Chettinad biryani masala: Dry roast the mentioned whole spices and make it a coarse powder.
Herbs: Mint and cilantro are the two important herbs needed for a perfect flavorful biryani recipe.
Curd: Curd helps to cook the mushroom faster and it gives slightly tangy flavor to our biryani recipe.
You may also be interested in these biryani recipes
How to make Chettinad mushroom biryani
Let’s see how to make this flavorful this recipe with step by step pictures and clear instructions.
Wash and rinse the basmati rice until the water is clear. Soak the rice for 30 minutes and start making the biryani.
Heat a heavy bottom kadai or a casserole pot, add oil and ghee(clarified butter)
Once the ghee is melted add the bay leaf and silted green chili (the green chili I have used is spicy so if you are using less spicy chilies add 3-4 of them)
Add the sliced red onions on sauté them until translucent. Add the freshly grounded ginger and garlic paste.
Once the raw smell of the ginger and garlic paste is gone add the sliced tomatoes. Cook them until the tomato turns mushy.
Add the chopped mint and cilantro leaves and sauté for 2 minutes.
Clean the mushroom to remove the dirt, dry them with the paper towel and slice them to thicker pieces.
Add the sliced mushroom and mix it.
Now add the spice powders (turmeric powder, red chili powder, chettinad biryani masala) and salt and sauté for a minute in a low flame.
Add the curd and cook until the oil oozes out.
It’s the time to add the soaked basmati rice followed by water. Check for salt in this stage; add some more chopped mint and cilantro.
Close the lid and cook on medium flame until the water is absorbed.
Rest the pot for 15 minutes and then serve the flavorful chettinad mushroom biryani with raita and enjoy!
If you tried this Chettinad mushroom biryani recipe let me know how it turned. Take a picture and tag me @veg2nonveg_kitchen on Instagram with the hashtag #veg2nonvegkitchen. I would love to see your creation.
Below is the printed version of the mushroom biryani recipe!
Chettinad mushroom biryani recipe | How to make chettinad mushroom biryani
For making Chettinad biryani masala:
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black peppercorns
- 2 Star anise
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Mace blade
- 1 Black cardamom
- 1 Stone flower (dagad phool/kalpasi)
For making mushroom biryani:
- 1.5 cup Basmati rice soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 and 3/4 cups Water
- 1.5 cup Mushroom thick slices
- ¼ cup Curd
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons Ghee clarified butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Green chili
- 1 cup Red onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized Tomato thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger and garlic paste
- ¼ cup Mint leaves chopped
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves /cilantro chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Chettinad biryani masala
- Rinse and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the biryani masala by dry roasting and grinding the ingredients mentioned under “For making Chettinad biryani masala” section.
- Heat a casserole pot or a heavy bottom kadai; add oil and ghee to it.
- Then add the bay leaves and green chili.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and cook until the onions caramelize.
- Later add the freshly grounded ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw flavor goes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes until it turns mushy followed by chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- After 2 minutes add the sliced mushroom and give it a mix and add the spice powders, turmeric powder, red chili powder, biryani masala.
- Once the raw smell is gone, add 1/4 cup of curd and cook until the oil oozes out.
- Add the soaked basmati rice and add enough water and salt to cook the biryani.
- Cook on a medium flame with the lid closed until all the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the flame once done and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- The aromatic spicy Chettinad mushroom biryani is ready and it can be served with yogurt/raitha.
- For Instant pot mushroom biryani: If you are making this mushroom biryani in Instant pot then cook on “Sauté” mode till adding curd and after adding the rice change it to “Manual” mode and cook it for 4 minutes. Release the pressure after 10 minutes.
- For pressure cooker mushroom biryani: If you are making this mushroom biryani in pressure cooker follow the same procedure and cook the biryani for 2 whistles. Release the pressure after 20 minutes if there is any.
Some more chettinad recipes you may be interested to try: