Fish curry aka Meen kuzhambu is flavorful gravy that can be relished with rice, idli, dosa, etc., Making of this curry varies from region to region according to their taste bud. My Mom usually makes the authentic “Chettinad Meen Kuzhambu” which I will be sharing soon on my blog. But she also adapts this recipe when there is a sudden guest’s arrival or she wants to finish the work fast. Yes this curry doesn’t need much time, since there are no grinding stuffs involved;)
In most of the Chettinad recipes shallots/pearl onions plays the major role. They have a unique flavor profile which differs from other onions. If you want to enjoy the same flavor, then you have to use the shallots in the recipe for the exact taste. You might also like fish fry to go with this curry, if so click here to check my Chettinad fish fry recipe.
This fish curry will be little tangier and spicier 🙂 you just need 30 minutes of your time to make this curry.
Sounds easy and interesting right? Then try this recipe and let me know how it turned 🙂
Easy Indian Fish Curry
Easy and simple Indian Fish curry in 30 Minutes.
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 spring of curry leaves
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 10 -12 chopped shallots
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons of red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
- Tamarind pulp from 1 big sized lemon
- Water – 1 cup
- 6-8 fish pieces (Red snapper)
- Step 1 Heat a pan and add sesame oil, once the oil is heated add the mustard seeds followed by fenugreek seeds.
- Step 2 Add the garlic followed by chopped shallots and curry leaves.
- Step 3 Once the onion turns translucent add the chopped tomato and cook till it gets mushy.
- Step 4 Now add the spice powders one by one, turmeric, red chili, coriander powder.
- Step 5 After the raw flavors of the spices have gone add the tamarind pulp extract and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Add the required salt and water for the curry and allow it to cook for 15-20 minutes on a medium flame.
- Step 7 After 20 minutes, the curry should have thickened and now add the cleaned fish pieces one by one gently and give another 7-10 minutes for the fish pieces to cook.
- Step 8 Once done switch off the flame and serve the fish curry with hot steamed white rice and enjoy
- You can use any variety of fish; the fish cooks too quickly so keep an eye on it once you dropped it into the curry.
- Wash the fish pieces throughly with lemon juice and turmeric powder before adding it into the curry.
- Change the spice levels according to your taste buds.
- Usually fish curry will taste awesome if it is consumed the next day. So, I make this curry previous day night for the next day lunch.