Schezwan sauce is a spicy garlicky Indo Chinese sauce really easy to make, usually Schezwan sauce are served with momo dish, cutlets and spring rolls. This is a spicy hot sauce which is perfect for noodles and rice which takes the dish to another level. It just needs two main ingredients to make the sauce, red chilies and lots of garlic. So Schezwan sauce is considered the best Indo Chinese condiment for any snacks and appetizers worldwide.
I usually make this Schezwan sauce in small batch and store it in fridge to use it later. Since we love Indo Chinese food we will use the sauce for making dinner often. The sauce is really a life savior for me. All you need is to toss the rice or noodles with some Schezwan sauce and top it with your favorite veggies or meat on it . Isn’t simple?
The color of Schezwan sauce is really attractive; it’s deep red in color. That’s because of lots of red chilies. Some recipe calls for Kashmiri or Bedgi red chilies, I use normal whole red chili and still I get the wonderful red color.
Cooking the sauce to the perfection is an important step .If it is not cooked properly you will get the pungent smell coming from the chilies. The oil must floats on top for a perfectly cooked Schezwan sauce.
You can make the Schezwan sauce ahead. Next time when you are hosting any party at your home you don’t want to spend your whole time in kitchen to cook dishes. Save your time by making this sauce ahead and spend your quality time with your friends and family.
Earlier I use to buy the store bought Schezwan sauce and I was not satisfied with the taste and flavor. I was keep on changing the brands of the Schezwan sauce. After several trial and errors I found this recipe. This Schezwan sauce recipe taste better than the store bought ones. Nothing beats the taste homemade sauce, do you agree?
Now let’s jump into the recipe.
How to make Schezwan sauce:
Soaking the red chilies in hot water is the important step. It helps the red chili to grind it to a smooth paste. Remove the steams of red chilies and soak them for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile peel the skin and chop some garlic. Lots of garlic enhances the flavor of the sauce so feel free to add it.
After 30 minutes of soaking the chilies, add the red chilies into the blender and grind it to a smooth paste with little water.
Now heat the pan and add oil.
Once the oil is heated add the chopped garlic and ginger.
Once the raw flavor is gone add the ground red chili.
Cook the red chili paste on a medium flame 5 – 10 minutes with the addition of ½ cup water.
And then add the other ingredients one by one.
Adding ground black pepper powder followed by rice vinegar.
Add soy sauce.
Add the salt, followed by sugar.
Then add tomato ketchup.
Mix everything together then cook it further on a medium flame.
After 10 minutes the sauce starts to thickens.
Cook the sauce until the oil separates and floats on top.
Allow the Schezwan sauce to cool completely , then transfer it to an airtight container.
The Schezwan sauce stays good up to 3 weeks when it is stored in refrigerator.
Schezwan sauce can be used as a condiment for snacks or can be used to make Schezwan rice or noodles.
Here is the printable version of the recipe.
- 25 dry red chilies soaked in water for half an hour
- 12 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Soak the red chilies in hot water for half an hour and grind it to a paste with a tablespoon of water.
- Heat a pan and add oil, chopped garlic and ginger pieces. Cook until the raw flavor is gone.
- Then add the ground red chili paste with ½ cup water and cook it further for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Now add the other ingredients one by one (Vinegar, soy sauce, salt, sugar, ground pepper, tomato ketchup)
- Mix everything together and cook until the sauce thickens (it takes 10 minutes).
- Once the oil separates and floats on top which means the Schezwan sauce is ready, now allow the sauce to cool and then transfer it to an airtight container and store it in refrigerator for using.
- You can use the sauce in noodles, rice, appetizer, etc.,
- The Schezwan sauce stays good for up to 3 weeks in refrigerator.
- The mentioned measurement yields spicy Schezwan sauce, if you need less spicy then reduce the red chilies numbers.
- I have used canola oil in the recipe, but you can also use vegetable or corn oil for the recipe.
- Some like to add onions in to their Schezwan sauce, but the self-life is less than a week if you add onions.