Shahi paneer is rich and creamy Indian gravy. It is basically a North Indian curry made using paneer (Indian cottage cheese). Shahi means Royal, as the name refers this gravy is royal and rich with the additions of cashews and almonds.
If you see the Indian curries, Paneer Butter Masala is the most favorite and well known dish all over the world(if you want to know how to make paneer butter masala click here) and Shahi paneer comes the next big hit recipe in Indian cuisine.
Shahi Paneer can be eaten with roti, naan, rice or any other Indian flat bread. It is less spicy comparing to paneer butter masala. There are many versions of Shahi paneer recipes; but here I have used onion based sauce for the gravy. Soon I will post the other versions.
Rich and Creamy Shahi paneer recipe, best accompaniment for rice, pulao, roti, naan, etc.,
- Butter -1 tablespoon
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Paneer – 100 gm
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Onion – 1
- Cashews – 10
- Almonds – 10
- Water – 1 cup
- Heavy cream – 3 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Dried fenugreek leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Step 1 Roughly chop the onion and keep it aside.
- Step 2 Heat a pan and add butter to it.
- Step 3 Once the butter has melted add the almonds and cashews and fry it for a minute.
- Step 4 Add the chopped onions and sauté it till the onions are soft.
- Step 5 Once onions have cooked, switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Step 6 Grind it to a smooth paste with an addition of little water.
- Step 7 Transfer the grinded paste to a bowl.
- Step 8 Heat the same pan, add ghee and oil.
- Step 9 Add bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves one after another.
- Step 10 Add the cumin seeds followed by grinded paste.
- Step 11 Cook it for 2 minutes and then add the spice powders (Turmeric powder, Red chili powder, Garam masala).
- Step 12 Add some water id the gravy looks thick.
- Step 13 Add salt and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Step 14 Add heavy cream and give it a mix and then add the paneer cubes (100 gm).
- Step 15 Finally add some crushed kashthuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves).
- Step 16 Switch off the flame, Shahi paneer is ready to serve.
Here is the video for Shahi Paneer recipe :
- You can fry the paneer and add as well, but i prefer to add as it is.
- Instead of butter you can add ghee alone.
- If you wish you can also add chopped tomatoes while sauteing the onions.
- You can blanch the almonds and cashews and then can grind it to a paste and add.