Indian style gluten free pasta recipe loaded with lots of healthy veggies and packed with aromatic Indian spices. Perfect recipe for your next potluck 🙂
Spicy masala pasta is a veggie loaded pasta recipe flavored with Indian spices. Take a break from regular dinner menus and try this flavorful pasta recipe next time and I am sure you will be amazed with its taste. This masala pasta is very easy to make and your pasta will be ready in no time. The best thing is these pasta’s are gluten-free!
The best thing about this recipe is I have used “Eatbanza” pasta variety, which is high in protein and fiber. They are also Gluten-Free, Soy-Free and Vegan friendly. Is’t it amazing ? And these pastas are made from chickpeas. It takes only half the time for cooking the pasta than the regular ones.
I like pasta so much but always afraid of calories and unhealthy in it but after using these chickpea pastas I am having my dinner guilt-free 🙂
This masala pasta will be perfect for dinner. If you have decided not to spend much time in kitchen then spend just 10 minutes to make this recipe. I have made the veggie version of the pasta; if you are a meat lover you can add chicken or any cooked meat instead of veggies.
Usually kids love pasta varieties and my kid regularly demands to make pasta. So I sneak as many veggies as I can and will make this masala pasta for her and she eats without any complaints. If you like Indian food then this pasta recipe will be in your dinner menu always.
I have used Instant pot to cook the veggies since it saves time. But you can also make this recipe on stove top. If you prefer stove top method, then cook the pasta according to the package instructions and then toss the pastas into the onion tomato masala and serve.
If you tried this recipe let me know how it turned. Take a picture and tag me @veg2nonveg_kitchen on Instagram with the hashtag #veg2nonvegkitchen. I would love to see your creation 🙂
Here are the few possible questions about the recipe.
Why Banza pasta?
Banza pasta are Gluten-Free and non GMO product. They are soy free and vegan friendly. Apart from that, Banza pasta are low in calories and high in protein and fiber.
Can I make this recipe using Instant pot?
Of course you can. But the Instant pot method gives you a little saucy pasta. If you want dry pasta then cook the pasta separately and discard the water and add it to the onion tomato masala.
How can I make this recipe Vegan?
Instead of canola oil use coconut oil and follow all the other steps.
Can I freeze the spicy masala pasta?
Definitely you can. Transfer the pasta to an air tight container and you can freeze up to 2-3 weeks.
Now let’s jump into the recipe.
How to make spicy masala rotini pasta:
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. In a sauce pan add water with some salt . Once it starts rolling boil add the pasta and cook it for 4-5 minutes.
Rinse the cooked pasta in warm water to remove the stickiness and keep aside.
Meanwhile heat a pan or instant pot and add oil.
Once the oil is hot enough add the cumin seeds.
Then add the chopped onions and sauté till the onions turned translucent.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes turns mushy.
Now add the spice powders (turmeric, red chili and coriander powder and garam masala) one by one with some salt.
Once the raw flavor of the spice powder is gone add the chopped veggies and cook it for 3-5 minutes by closing the lid.
After the veggies have cooked to the perfection add the cooked pasta and toss it well until the masala’s have coated well.
Serve the spicy masala pasta while it is still warm.
Spicy masala pasta recipe (Indian style)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ½ cup of onion chopped
- ½ cup of tomato chopped
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon of garam masala
- ½ cup of veggies I have used beans, carrots, peas and corn
- 2 cups of Banza rotini pasta
- 4 cups of water
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Rinse the cooked pasta in warm water to remove the stickiness and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough add the cumin seeds followed by chopped onions and sauté till the onions turned translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes turns mushy.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili, and coriander powder and garam masala
- Once the raw flavors of the spice powder are gone add the chopped veggies and salt
- Cook the veggies for 3-5 minutes by closing the lid.
- After the veggies have cooked to the perfection add the cooked pasta and toss it well until the masala’s have coated well.
- “Spicy masala rotini pasta” is ready.
- Serve the spicy masala pasta while it is still warm.
- The chickpea pastas are different from regular pasta’s so keep an eye on them while cooking.They will turn mushy in no time.
- You can replace the red chili powder by cayenne pepper.