Super soft sweet potato roti recipe with just 2 main ingredients – sweet potato and wheat flour! Easy to make gluten free , low calorie vegan dinner recipe which helps you for weight loss as well, Isn’t it amazing!!!
Sweet potato flatbread/roti
Are you bored of regular flatbread? Then give a try to this 2 ingredients “Sweet potato flatbread”. The oil and salt is optional here. So it’s a vegan recipe. There is no need of any additional water to make this dough.
Usually sweet potato flatbread are made using all-purpose flour but here we are going to use whole wheat flour. The ratio between mashed sweet potato and wheat flour is 1:1. This super soft sweet potato roti goes very well the Indian curries. If you are not using any oil then you make them as a tortilla wrap and stuff with veggies or meat and just roll them and eat it.
What is a roti?
Roti is a round flatbread native to the Indian subcontinent made from stone-ground wholemeal flour, traditionally known as atta, and water that is combined into a dough. Roti is consumed in many countries worldwide. No yeast Indian bread in simple words. Rot tastes amazing with Indian curries and pickles.
Main ingredients to make sweet potato roti/flatbread
As mentioned the main ingredient needed to make this recipe is boiled sweet potato and whole wheat flour. I always add salt in the flour for the taste and if you need you can add oil while making the sweet potato paratha. To make it extra richer you can add butter as well. You can make this roti recipe even with other potatoes as well, but you should give a try with the sweet potato once and I am sure you will love it and make this recipe often!
Health benefits of sweet potato
- Sweet potatoes help prevent Vitamin A deficiency
- Manage diabetics
- They help to prevent cancer
- Sweet potatoes help to minimizing the risk of cardiovascular disease
- These sweet potatoes are the best to improve hair growth
- Improves digestions
- Helps to regulate blood pressure
Even for a longer time the roti’s remain soft. So you can make these roti’s ahead and store it in fridge and reheat it whenever necessary. I have used orange colored sweet potatoes, but you can use even white or anything of your choice.
You can try these side dishes which go well with the sweet potato roti
You may also be interested to try this sweet potato recipe
How to make sweet potato roti
Start the process by boiling some hot water in a pot to cook the sweet potato.
Use a steamer basket to cook the potatoes. Once done wait for the sweet potatoes to cool down a bit and then peel the skin.
Mash the potatoes to smooth consistency.
Take a wide bowl, add the wheat flour, sweet potato and salt and mix it thoroughly.
Add water if necessary and form a soft dough.
Take a small portion of the dough and flatten it. With the help of a rolling pin roll it to flat disc, neither thick nor thin.
Similarly roll all the remaining dough and keep it in a plate
Heat a griddle, once the griddle is hot slowly add the roti and cook it on either side.
If you are making sweet potato tortilla, stop the process here and cook the remaining flatbreads similarly.
For sweet potato roti, if you desire you can add oil or ghee and cook the roti on either side.
Serve the hot sweet potato roti with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
Check the sweet potato roti/chapathi video below:
Sweet potato flatbread/roti recipe
- 1 sweet potato medium sized
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour (plus ¼ cup for dusting)
- Salt optional
- Oil optional
- Wash and clean 1 medium sized sweet potato and steam cook it for 10-12 minutes until tender.
- Once done remove them to a bowl and allow the sweet potatoes to cool a bit and then peel the skin and mash the sweet potatoes.
- Now add the flour little by little and mix well with the mashed potatoes with the help of a spoon.
- Once the dough is about to form use your hands to knead the dough to smooth and soft.
- After kneading it for 5-6 minutes you will get a non-sticky smooth dough ball. Apply a teaspoon of oil above the dough ball and allow the dough to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and make small round balls out of it.
- Dust some extra flour on the surface and flatten the balls to a circular disc with the help of a rolling pin.
- Heat a griddle/pan and cook the roti. Once it starts bubble up turn it to the next side and cook it. Apply some oil if you want.
- It takes 1-2 minutes to cook 1 roti, similarly cook all the others.
- Sweet potato flatbread is ready. Serve it hot with some curries or use it as tortilla wrap and enjoy.
- Instead of steam cooking the sweet potatoes you can also boil or pressure cook it. But if you boil or pressure it then the moisture content will be more and as a result you will end up adding more flour to form the dough.
- Adding the flour to the mashed sweet potato while it is still warm is an important step. It helps the roti to become soft.
- For 1 cup of mashed puree needs 1 cup of flour; you may need more also depending upon the water content presented in the potatoes.
- I have used whole wheat flour for the recipe. You can also use all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour instead.
If you tried this recipe let me know how it turned. Take a picture and tag me @veg2nonveg_kitchen on Instagram with the hashtag #veg2nonvegkitchen. I would love to see your creation 🙂