Tofu with soy sauce – Pan fired crispy tofu’s are tossed in sweet soy sauce topped with sesame seeds and green onions. All you need is just 20 minutes to make this delicious Korean recipe!
Tofu with soy sauce
Tofu with soy sauce is a Korean recipe made using tofu as a main ingredient. The tofu’s are pan fried to crispier and tossed to the sweet sesame soy sauce. Amazing recipe that can be served along with cooked rice or served as an appetizer.
Main Ingredients used to make the tofu soy sauce recipe
As the name says, tofu and soy sauce are the two main ingredients to make the recipe. There are different types of tofu available in the market. Soft, medium firm and extra-firm tofu’s. In this recipe we are going to use extra-firm tofu. For making the sauce we need soy sauce, vinegar, sesame seeds ginger and garlic. To make the sauce in sweeter side sugar is added to the sauce. Don’t forget to add sugar to your sauce, you will regret it later!
Tofu’s are very difficult to get the crispy exterior because of its soft texture. I am sure that you will get a crispy tofu without deep frying if toy follow this recipe. Actually it tastes a way better than the deep fried ones 🙂
what is tofu?
Tofu is known as bean curd, they are prepared by coagulating the soy milk. In general tofu’s are high in protein and low in calories so they are called as “the cheese of Asia”.Tofu’s are widely used in Asian countries as a substitute for meat, tofu sausages and tofu burgers are quite popular among vegetarians since they are the best replacement of meat next to soy protein!
There are three types of tofu (soft, firm, extra firm). Extra firm tofu works best for savory dishes. It’s very difficult to bring out the flavors from tofu because they have subtle flavor almost bland. In this case, a good sauce will help to bring the taste.
Secret ingredient to get crispy Tofu
The secret to get crispy tofu is addition on corn starch! Today in the recipe, I have pan fried the tofu’s, the crispiness is achieved by the cornstarch coating and removal of excess water from the tofu block. The sauce has mild sweet and spicy flavors, totally this recipe is pure bomb and must try if you haven’t tried it earlier!
If I am bored of regular lunch menu, this “Tofu with soy sauce” recipe will come to rescue. So why are you waiting for? Try this recipe and let me know how it turned.
Tag me @veg2nonveg_kitchen on Instagram if you tried any of my recipes. I would love to see them 🙂
you may also be interested in these recipes:
Tofu with soy sauce | Crispy tofu in sesame soy sauce
- 1 pack (14 Oz) extra – firm tofu
- 2 tbsp cornstarch + 1 tsp
- 2 tbsp oil +1 tbsp
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp balck pepper ground
- 1 tbsp water
- Green onions to garnish
- Remove the excess water from the tofu by placing some weight on top of it. Cut the tofu into cubes once the water has drained completely
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, sugar, 1 tablespoon of water, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of oil. Mix it well and set the sauce mixture aside.
- Coat the tofu with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and a little salt until there is no moisture left on the tofu.
- Heat a pan on a medium flame and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is heated, add the tofu cubes and cook until golden brown color is achieved. Turn the tofu on the alternate sides until it turns crispy and transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan add the sauce mixture and cook it for 5 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken and now add the pepper powder. Finally toss the crispy tofu into the sauce and switch of the flame.
- Garnish the crispy tofu with green onions and sesame seeds and serve it over a bed of rice or couscous or quinoa and enjoy.
- Soft tofu won’t work for this recipe so buy the extra firm tofu.
- Removing the excess water from the package is the very important step to get the crispy tofu.
- After coating the tofu with the cornstarch, if you felt the tofu is still moist then add another tablespoon of cornstarch until there is no moisture is left on the tofu.