Are you bored of regular dosa,idli,chapathi for your breakfast/dinner?? Then you must definitely give a try of this recipe.You can add any veegies of your choice or you can make plain “Bread upma” as well.
You can make this upma by any kind of bread.Today here I have used honey wheat bread. When I am bored by regular food I will make this “Bread Upma” for a change. The taste will be so good since it has some Indian spices 😉
Bread upma is an easy breakfast/dinner recipe you can make at home in no minutes.
- Bread slices - 5
- Oil - 1 tsp Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chili - 1
- Curry leaves
- Sliced onions - 1/2 cup
- Chopped tomatoes - 1/2 cup Veggies - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves
- Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
- Step 1 Cut the bread slices into squares.
- Step 2 Heat a pan add a teaspoon of oil.
- Step 3 Add the mustard seeds, once splutters add the cumin seeds, green chili and curry leaves.
- Step 4 Add the sliced onions and saute it for 2 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Step 6 Then add the chopped veggies of your choice.
- Step 7 After 2 minutes of sauteing add the spice powders one by one (turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala ans salt)
- Step 8 Add the water and cook it for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Step 9 Add the cubed bread pieces and toss it gently until the moisture is absorbed and masala is coated on the bread.
- Step 10 Finally add some chopped coriander leaves and swtich off the flame.
- Step 11 Bread upma is ready.
- I haven’t toast my bread but you can also toast the bread and use it.
- I have used peas and carrots as veggies but you can add any other veggies of your choice.
- If your bread is already moist then add very little water to cook the veggies.
Here is the recipe video for better understanding :