I have a sweet tooth and I love desserts:) that too Indian desserts are my favorites. Whenever I go to any Indian restaurants, I look forward for desserts always (Yes I am so crazy about dessert 😉 )
This “Rice Kheer ” is an easy and simple recipe which needs 30-40 min on total time to make. It does’t need any fancy ingredients to make, the ingredients are so so simple and definitely will be available in all Indian households.
You can serve a whole crowd with this kheer. These are yummy and rich dessert topped with nuts and flavored with saffron . You cant go wrong with this yummy delicious dessert 😉
Rice kheer is a famous Indian dessert topped with nuts and flavored with saffron.
- Basamati rice - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Full fat milk - 4 cups
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Condensed milk - 1/4 cup
- Salt a pinch
- Saffron strands - 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon
- Chopped nuts - 1/4 cup
- Step 1 Soak the Basmati rice for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 In the meanwhile boil the milk.
- Step 3 Add a tablespoon of warm milk to the saffron and keep it aside.
- Step 4 Heat a pan and a teaspoon of ghee.
- Step 5 Once the ghee is hot add the soaked and drained basmati rice to it.
- Step 6 Stir it for a minute and then add the warm milk.
- Step 7 Once the milk attains the rolling boil, reduce the flame and stir it often to avoid the rice sticking to its bottom.
- Step 8 After 15-20 minutes the milk would have thickened.
- Step 9 Now check the rice, if the rice is cooked enough add the salt, sugar and condensed milk.
- Step 10 Mash the rice with the back of the laddle.
- Step 11 It might look thin in consistency but once the kheer is chilled it will be thickened enough.
- Step 12 After 5 minutes, add the cardamom powder and chopped nuts.
- Step 13 Switch off the flame and allow it to cool/chill for few minutes and then serve it.
- Step 14
- You can use any type of rice but basmati rice gives you a unique flavor.
- In recipe I have used both condensed milk and sugar, if you dont have condensed milk at home you can skip it and extra 1/2 cup of sugar to it.
- If your kheer is to thick and some warm water before serving.
- You can add any nuts of your choice or add a teaspoon of ghee and roast some cashews and raisins and add it.
- For the flavors you can also add rose water or kejera water in the kheer.